Changing your mindset

This really spoke to me this morning, because I've been focusing a lot on the change in one's attitude as it relates to most everything, but especially weight loss -- mine included.  However, it's not just our attitude but the way we speak to and about ourselves, which is the physical manifestation of that attitude.

I have coworkers who eat out most every day.  I used to partake in that quite often.  So, when they come to me now and politely offer (I don't think they're trying to sabotage; it's merely a courtesy), I've had to catch myself a few times or even correct them when they ask if I can have what they're offering.  

My stock answer used to be, "Thank you, no, but I can't have that."  But now, if they say, "You can't have this, can you?" I say, "Actually, I CAN have that.  I can have anything I want.  However, I CHOOSE not to have it."

The end result is the same, but the outlook is different and comes from a position of power, not deprivation.  I truly CAN have that fast food or candy or baked good, but that choice in the past is what got me to an unhealthy weight and miserable in my own skin.  Why would I WANT to choose that now, after all the progress I've made??  Why would I WANT to feel sluggish and tired again?  Why would I WANT to stall my weight loss or, worse, gain again?  For a momentary pleasure?  Why?

As someone who didn't grow up fat but who has been fat for more than half her life, I know how much weight loss is in the mind as much as as it is in the act of putting hand to mouth -- maybe more so.  Because, let's face it, what goes into our body starts in the mind, right?  That moment we choose to eat something we shouldn't began there, not in the physical action.  And once you realize this is a lifestyle change -- a lifestyle CHOICE -- rather than a deprivation, you are now in control of your own destiny.  For too long, I felt as if my weight dragged me through life and defined who I am, and I was just an unwilling participant, never TRULY coming from a position that it was in my control all along.  I had to love myself enough to know I was worth better.

I love myself enough.  I hope you do, too. 💖

Comments

Hot Topics