Meeting with the surgeon

I meant to post the other day, but I met with the surgeon on Wednesday who is going to remove my band.  It sounds like a simple enough procedure, and I pray all goes well.  I was surprised to find out that I should be able to begin eating normally right away, since I was on liquids followed by soft foods for weeks after the surgery to put it in -- although, I guess that makes sense, since the restriction part will be gone.

It was almost funny when we started discussing, because he said, "I see here that we'll be removing your band, and..." to which I said, "That's it.  I'm having it removed."  He was surprised that I wasn't doing like so many others have done and converting to a sleeve or RNY, but I had always been of the mindset that I did NOT want to do anything permanent to my body, especially since they don't work anyway.  I have known too many people who did this, only to still struggle with weight.

The loss of my band is somewhat bittersweet.  True, I'm not 300 pounds like I once was, so it did work to a point, but it's been 12 long years of worrying how fast I ate, how much I ate, whether people would wonder why I can't eat very much, whether people would wonder why I don't really eat all that much but am still fat, where the restroom is in restaurants, whether I will upchuck my lunch, etc.  It will be nice to not have to worry about that anymore.

Anyway, the surgery date is still scheduled for the 11th, so six days from now.  I am ready for this next phase of my life -- doing it myself, with the help of OptaVia, of course!

Comments

Hot Topics